[Development] Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue Jan 13 03:20:38 CET 2015

Sorry for raining on your parade, but…

Keränen Pasi wrote:
> I¹d like to open the discussion on including the three library as part of
> Qt 5.6 and onwards. Mainly because this would give our users a better
> experience if we¹d bundle the right, tested version of Three.js together
> with the Qt version it was tested on.

… we distribution packagers REALLY hate bundled libraries…

> The library will for now at least need some porting effort to make it run
> on top of Canvas3D as there are some HTML depencencies that need to be
> handled, plus V4VM has a few quirks that need to be accounted for.
> Hopefully some of the V4VM quirks are bugs and will be fixed in due time,
> but the HTML dependencies do remain. And my current experience with
> graphics APIs is that you want to test the whole stack together. If we
> e.g. add support for new extensions in Canvas3D, that can activate new
> codepaths in Three.js that again need testing and possibly new Qt specific
> delta must be added to the three.js for those parts.

… and especially FORKED bundled libraries (where we stand no realistic
chance of actually unbundling them).

Distributions really want to have one system version of a library, (for the
reasons explained, e.g., under
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:No_Bundled_Libraries ). (That said,
for JavaScript stuff, at least in Fedora, we do not have a general,
application-independent way of handling this issue yet, see:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:JavaScript .)

        Kevin Kofler