[Development] Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 15:46:56 CET 2015

On Wednesday 14 January 2015 09:16:22 Olivier Goffart wrote:
[snip]
> > However, in the source code, the non-minified version needs to be present
> > with instructions on how to regenerate the minified version.
> >
> > What's optional: minifying during build. It's ok to commit the minified
> > version to Git, so long as the non-minified version is easily available.
>
> The non-minified version does not have to be in the git repository to
> respect the license.
> It is enough to have it in another git repository for example. Or just in a
> package available in a "3rdparty" directory of the qt-project FTP.

While this is, to the best of my knowledge, entirely true the fact of shipping
the unminified source code along with the minified one in the same repo helps
us distro maintainers *a lot* as we don't require to modify the original
tarballs to include it.

If the javascript library is in it's unmodified (ie, upstream's original) form
we can simply remove the minified version and use the distro-packaged one. But
if the library gets modified, like in this very case, we really need the
source code in the same tarball.

Adding the original code in 3rdparty in the same repo is definitely a plus for
us who need to deal with them.

Another big big plus for us maintainers is if there is code (like a script) to
minify the lib at build time. It doesn't needs to be included in the build
process, it can be manually done and maybe even require some external tool. In
this way we simply run the script before compilation and we are done.

--
Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/