[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Konstantin Ritt ritt.ks at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 02:45:53 CET 2015

> Konstantin Ritt wrote:
> > As a developer, I would rarely use the only Qt version provided by the
> > distro. In fact, I currently have 8 different Qt-5 builds (partially
> > because of some projects are sticking to some particular Qt-5
> > version/configuration/etc.)
>
> In practice, using the latest works in >99% of the cases, due to upstream's
> backwards compatibility guarantees.
>
> I develop everything against the system Qt (which is regularly updated in
> Fedora), and in those cases where I need to check that it works with some
> older Qt too, I simply build it in a CentOS chroot with the "mock" tool
> (either by just packaging it as an RPM and throwing that to mock (one-line
> invocation), or by scripting a manual build in mock).

This clearly shows our use cases are quite different.

> Having just a "qmake-qt5" solution doesn't fit my purposes; adding some
> > freaky suffixes is not an option either.
>
> But surely setting PATH to /opt/yourqt/bin:$PATH would work for you? What's
> the point of qtchooser?

I prefer setting QT_SELECT to "someproject" and then simply `qmake && make`
over manipulating the PATH and/or obtaining the suffix needed to run qmake.
At very least, why should I remember which project has been built with this
or that Qt version/configuration?

> > As for Qt-4 and the qmake name clash, I *never* had a problem with
> > building against a wrong Qt version, simply because I have a separate
> > configuration for my Qt-4 builds.
>
> I have all of qt3-devel, qt-devel (Qt 4) and qt5-qtbase-devel installed on
> my system, and they just work, thanks to suffixed binaries. So I don't need
> a "separate configuration". (What would that even be? Different user
> account? Different chroot? Different VM? None of those are needed here.)

Different configuration. i.e. qt4.5, qt4.7, qt4.7-mingw.

Regards,
Konstantin