[Development] Android Serial Port USB device

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Sun Jan 18 21:42:49 CET 2015

On Sunday 18 January 2015 18:01:55 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Mike Gonza worked on a wrapper of usb-serial-for-android and provided
> patches a while ago but they were not accepted because
> usb-serial-for-android is LGPLv2.1 only:
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/83480/
>
> https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/84338/
>
> https://github.com/mik3y/usb-serial-for-android
>
> As a consequence, Qt has no support for non-rooted serial port on Android.
> AFAIK there is no alternative to usb-serial-for-android (other than
> reinventing it from scratch with a more acceptable license). Or is there?
>
> Is there any chance Mike's patches are at least merged as an optional
> feature which is not compiled by default?

I'd like to hear someone from Enterprise Qt here too. My opinion is that we
should accept the feature but make it an optional build-time dependency or an
optional run-time dependency. That way, Enterprise Qt does not need a licence
change and customers who will not install usb-serial-for-android will need to
root their devices.