[Development] qtchooser (was: Re: Adding new third party component three.js to Qt?)

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sun Jan 18 23:18:04 CET 2015

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:

> On Sunday 18 January 2015 18:06:45 you wrote:
> [snip]
>> If I'm wrong then simply unmasking qdbus with qtchooser should be enough.
>> /usr/bin/qdbus should be provided by the default version (qt4's one in
>> our case) and we might even let qt5-qdbus depend upon it's qt4 version,
>> so packages depending on it would get both for the time being.
>
> And even in this case that would mean that people who only need the qt5
> stack will also get qt4 stuff. In packaging standards that's ugly, but
> considering the situation, bearable.

That is also not going to be a setup we will want to ship in Fedora. We will
likely be patching the programs to use qdbus-qt5 (without the space)
instead. At least that version could be upstreamed if the code invoking
qdbus is written in a language that makes PATH lookups easy. (For C++/Qt
code, try QStandardPaths::​findExecutable("qdbus-qt5"), but C++/Qt code
should be using QDBus directly rather than through the command-line tool to
begin with!)

        Kevin Kofler