[Development] Requesting a break in behavior in QML Text element

Bo Thorsen bo at vikingsoft.eu
Fri Jan 30 09:27:45 CET 2015

Den 30-01-2015 kl. 08:51 skrev Mathias Hasselmann:

> Am 30.01.2015 um 08:12 schrieb Bo Thorsen:
>> Den 29-01-2015 kl. 23:24 skrev Robin Burchell:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Rationale: Text.AutoFormat is a terrible misfeature in almost every
>>> case out there.
>>> [...]
>>
>> I agree that it would be better to set plain text as the default. In
>> most cases it's what there is in the Text elements anyway. This is at
>> least the case for most applications I have come across.
>>
>> But we can't do this before 6.0. It's a clear API change that will
>> affect every single QML application with rich text in Text elements,
>> where they don't explicitly set the format. And why would anyone set it
>> if they accept rich text? AutoFormat is superior to plain text in that
>> it can accept plain text as well.
>>
>> We would not accept such a change for QWidget based classes, so we can't
>> accept it for QML elements either.
>
> Sorry, but that's nonsense.
>
> With QML we can as we have versioned import statements. They are made
> exactly for cases like this, incompatible API changes: If the proposed
> change only gets implemented for "import QtQuick 2.5" all existing
> applications will keep running as they'll import QtQuick 2.4 at maximum.

You are right that this is a possibility. But it's not without cost to
do this. It adds complexity for Qt developers to keep multiple versions
alive and weird bugs for our users.

You say it's easy for developers to upgrade to a new version and then so
a quick search and replace. This is only correct if you assume that
developers know they have to do this. I really don't like forcing people
to have to go through a list of things that must be done when upgrading
from one minor QML version to another. IMHO that's an abuse of the concept.

If this was a big problem that should be fixed, sure. But I tried to
argue why it's not as big a problem as the OP said. I completely
disagree that having the versioning gives the right to change all kinds
of details.

Bo.

--
Viking Software