[Development] Qt LTS & C++11 plans (CopperSpice)

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Wed Jul 22 00:15:19 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 21 July 2015 22:26:17 Ansel Sermersheim wrote:
> As to your question about relicensing, can you please elaborate on what
> this is referring to? As long as Qt is covered by the current license,
> we can not relicense CopperSpice since we are bound by the terms of the
> licenses under which we forked the code.

You own the copyright to those parts which you added. Come GPL4, you might
conceivably want to use that license. Assuming TQC releases its code under
GPL4, too, which it can, that leaves your own original work. Assuming it's
just you and Barbara, you won't have problems. But if you have 200
contributors, half of which vanished from the face of the earth after a few
months of being active, you will have a harder time to track every contributor
down and get approval for the relicensing from each of them. It's why many
Free Software projects require some form of copyright assignment, incl. the
Godfather of GPL projects, GNU.

You seem to say that Copperspice is in some sense more free than Qt, because
of the missing CLA, but you may have locked yourself into a set of licenses
forever, like the Linux kernel did (and it's anyone's guess whether Linus is
*actually* happy with the GPL v2 and being stuck with it forever, or whether
dropping the "or later" clause secretly gnaws at his conscience, after all he
also publicly condemns C++ and then goes to write his diving app in Qt/C++ :)

IANAL, yadda, yadda,
Marc

Tel: +49-30-521325470
KDAB - The Qt Experts