[Development] Request to delete libibusplatforminputcontextplugin.so from qtbase

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Jul 22 06:49:31 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 22 July 2015 12:41:11 Takao Fujiwara wrote:

> >> However I guess you won't complete IBus testings since there are various
> >> functionalities by languages.
> >
> > So you're saying that the Qt testing isn't enough, but IBus itself could
> > test more? That is, if the Qt IBus plugin lives as part of IBus, it will
> > get better development and better testing than it does today inside the
> > Qt sources?
> Yes, I think it's better to develop and test the IBus plugin together on
> ibus-qt. qtbase is a big source tree to develop the plugin.

I don't see how the size of a tree is an argument. The Linux kernel is 10x
bigger than qtbase and people seem fine developing things in-tree there.

The argument you're putting forward is that IBus would take better care of
testing the plugin and aligning it with IBus features.

What we need convincing is whether the fact that it won't suffer because it
can't track Qt and the QPA API as closely as it does now. Looking at the 20
most recent changes to the plugin, almost half are cleanups and updates that
don't add functionality.

Another important factor to remember is that the Qt Project distributes
binaries for Linux. Right now, they contain the IBus plugin because it's part
of qtbase. If it is moved out of tree and its build system is complex, we may
not ship the plugin anymore and, thus, make it impossible for complex input
methods to work in user applications that use our binaries (including the Qt
Creator we ship). So if it's moved out of tree, we will require:

 a) a simple build system, which is not the current one either

 b) that IBus makes sure that the plugin is ready to be released according to
    Qt's release schedule. If it fails to compile, we won't ship it.