[Development] Tool to record GIFs

Curtis Mitch mitch.curtis at theqtcompany.com
Mon Jul 27 12:00:01 CEST 2015

Hi.

I recently pushed a patch [1] that adds a GIF recorder "tool" (it's a manual test) to qt-labs/qtquickcontrols2.

The tool provides a convenient way to record a GIF as you interact with a Qt application. It can also record the events that occurred during the recording and output them as calls to QTest functions (currently only mouse events), which can then be reused to reproduce the events later. This is mostly useful for cases where you have an existing GIF that shows interaction with some UI, and the appearance/"styling" of the UI  is altered at some point and you don't want to have to waste time trying to recreate the events yourself through interaction with the application.

You can see an example of its usage here:

https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/122111/6/tests/manual/gifs/tst_gifs.cpp

I'm interested to know if anyone else would get a use out of this. Other Qt modules could benefit from it. Currently the GifRecorder class assumes a QQuickView, but it should be quite trivial to have a WidgetGifRecorder and a QuickGifRecorder.

Cheers.

[1] https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/122111/