[Development] Backwards compatibiltiy break in Qt 5.5

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Jul 28 18:30:59 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 28 July 2015 18:42:20 NIkolai Marchenko wrote:
> > People were warned in the changelog.
>
> I've already quoted Adams in JIRA, but this is exactly how changelog warnen
> users of Qt about this change:
> https://youtu.be/VGLFweev_iI?t=386
>
> Among panicking customers not understanding wtf is happening,
> unintelligible message,
> posted in the wrong place and hard to understand, and without any window
> for discussion.
> The Master's right again.

I understand the feeling, but I've done my job and we created the changelog.
You've now seen the changelog and you've seen the type of important messages
that are there.

So the release team and marketing team failed, indeed, by not making the
changelog more readily accessible. That does not invalidate the choices we
made that are documented in the changelog.

This is not the only notice in the "Important Behavior Changes" section.
Moreover, all the deprecations for 5.6 and 5.7 that being warned about are
still valid. The fact that the changelog was not linked from the announcement
will not prevent us from removing support for non-C++11 builds in 5.7.