[Development] date/time adjust for (auto) testing

André Somers andre at familiesomers.nl
Wed Jun 3 08:38:48 CEST 2015

Hi,

We have applications that use the current date and time at places spread
around the code. For normal operations, that works very nicely. However,
we find that for (auto) testing, it would be very convenient if we could
trick the application into believing it is some other date/time, so that
we can test if certain behaviours work the way we would like to
automatically. Currently, these tests take a lot of time because we
actually need to manually adjust the system date and time, do some
stuff, then adjust again, etc.

It would be really confortable if there was some control to set a
date/time offset (so the time keeps running) or a fixed date/time to be
returned from currentDate(), currentTime() or currentDateTime()
respectively. I guess access to such a thing does not belong in the main
Qt classes, but is really a testing tool, so perhaps it could find
refuge in QtTest somewhere. Would a contribution adding such a thing
stand any chance of being accepted, or would this be considered out of
scope or even unwanted?

An alternative might be to hook the windows kernel API, but that may be
much tricker to get right and may have unforseen consequences for the
code injected by Squish doing the actual testing.

André