[Development] Your actions needed, Qt5.5.0 RC & Final is nearing!

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 21:13:39 CEST 2015

On Friday June 05 2015 18:18:28 Sean Harmer wrote:

>But you did ask in a branch of a thread about a Qt3D change, so I
>answered with respect to the part that I have knowledge about.

That wasn't evident to me from the thread's subject :)

>I was asking because I'm genuinely curious about the answer. I myself am

I don't really have an answer and I'm also not trying to make a point to support back to 10.7 . MacPorts does have a more or less official policy how far back they support, but many individual ports go well beyond that, supporting even PPC Macs and thus 10.5 . 10.7 is rather common though, and I know many still use it.
My Mac from 2011 runs 10.9, I haven't yet decided if I'll go beyond that (not for another point release or 2 I think and then we'll see if it's still alive and kickin').
That said, I'd have never upgraded it from 10.6 if I'd had a chance (so I completely skipped 10.7 and 10.8), and I still miss that version for a bunch of reasons.

>using a Mac from 2011 that happily runs 10.10. I was not inferring that
>everybody should upgrade, but wondering how much of a need still remains
>to drive support for older flavours.

I simply don't know how well-used Qt is in say scientific research circles, where people 1) rarely have money for the latest & greatest and 2) have very good reasons to update as little as possible if they're not 3) locked-in to using old software that requires ditto OS and hardware.

>say 10.7 can only be on a best efforts basis. Of course if somebody
>wants to pay for such support, then we would be happy to investigate this.

Wouldn't that be your accountants' needs rather than yours? ;)

R.