[Development] Your actions needed, Qt5.5.0 RC & Final is nearing!

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Fri Jun 5 19:18:28 CEST 2015

On 05/06/2015 19:07, René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> On Friday June 05 2015 18:00:42 Sean Harmer wrote:
>
>>> What is the earliest OS X version on which 5.5 is supposed to work, officially?
>> For Qt3D, 10.8 is the oldest version handled by the CI. Given recent OS
> I didn't ask about Qt3D??

But you did ask in a branch of a thread about a Qt3D change, so I
answered with respect to the part that I have knowledge about.

> X updates are free do you really need support for anything older?
> That's the perverse other side of the medal of free OS updates, and the remark surprises me coming from the managing director of a company that sells support...
>
> Linux has always been free, yet do people feel the need not to run anything but the latest version?
> The hardware to run the OS on is *not* free, and not all still perfectly functional computers will run the latest software, esp. not if it's a recent OS out of Cupertino.
>
> Anyway, the question was not about needs I feel, but about the official stance, so that I know what to expect (and not to attempt) when I get to updating the MacPorts Qt5 port.

I was asking because I'm genuinely curious about the answer. I myself am
using a Mac from 2011 that happily runs 10.10. I was not inferring that
everybody should upgrade, but wondering how much of a need still remains
to drive support for older flavours.

As a director of a company that sells support I have to justify
investments into supporting said older releases, so if there is no
requirement or demand for it then we won't consider it. As it stands
Qt3D has a minimum requirement of OpenGL 2 or OpenGL ES 2 but we don't
have support for anything older than OS X 10.8 in the CI so support for
say 10.7 can only be on a best efforts basis. Of course if somebody
wants to pay for such support, then we would be happy to investigate this.

Looking at the CI for qtbase for e.g. shows a similar story for OS X
versions but I can't say what the official support is there.

Kind regards,

Sean

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK