[Development] [QtCS] QtRemoteObjects Session Summary

Simon Hausmann simon.hausmann at theqtcompany.com
Wed Jun 10 15:52:47 CEST 2015

On Tuesday, June 09, 2015 01:23:29 PM Alan Alpert wrote:
> There was late-scheduled session on QtRemoteObjects at QtCS on
> Saturday. QtRemoteObjects is a playground module for object remoting
> of QObjects, and can be found at
> http://code.qt.io/cgit/playground/qtremoteobjects.git/ .
>
> A brief overview of the existing features:
> -Exports QObjects remotely, creates a replicant on the client side you
> can interface with
> -Network nodes can serve as a registry to allow lookup by name.
> -Transport Layer Adapters
> -Bjoern is currently working on exporting of QAbstractItemModels
>
> A brief overview of planned features:
> -QML API
> -Protocol Layer Adapters
> -Investigate merge with QWebChannel (sounds similar, of course no-one
> working on QWebChannel was present to confirm).
>
> After it is established with those features and solid quality, it
> could be considered to promote it to an add-on module.
>
> The idea with protocol adapters is that currently it only sends
> QDataStream output over the wire. I want to send more accessible
> JSON-RPC (like) data over the wire for working with node, and Attila
> had a demo of getting object data from Meteor (although that was
> custom hacked for demo purposes). Protocol adapters will allow you to
> serialize it in these other forms, and that is the mechanism by which
> we gain compatibility with other languages/frameworks without them
> needing explicit QRO support - We'll talk their language if there
> exists compatible semantics. They'll probably remain separate from the
> transport adapters, but we'll see how the implementation develops.
> I'll start looking into the implementation this month.
>
> The question was raised "How is this not CORBA?". I'm not that
> familiar with CORBA (just read the wikipedia article today), but my
> suspicion is that we've cut out a lot of the boiler-plate by
> leveraging existing Qt Meta-object information.

I don't suspect that this is the CORBA criticism. I mean, it's a fair point
that you often do end up with boiler plate translating type systems, but
that's mostly a matter of good IDL bindings.

No, the criticism I would have regarding CORBA or at least the way you may
quickly end up using it is that it hides something that shouldn't be hidden:
Failures.

When working with "remote" services things _will_ go wrong. There will be
issues with your connection, there will be issues with the remote side not
responding (having crashed for example), there will be many such issues. You
don't see them when developing the system, but during real world deployment
you run into them, and then it's too late. During development you haven't
encountered those issues, so your code that calls methods and reads/writes
properties is written as if it works locally, because it did during your
testing. Systems like CORBA encourage developers to write code as if the
method calls were local, completely ignoring the nature of unreliable
transports and services.

I feel that mistake is made over and over again in many similar designs. It is
perhaps one area where the web development is doing better. It's my (perhaps
incorrect?) impression that web services tend to be accessed using more
explicit code instead of using transparent method calls or property access.
The XMLHttpRequest API is one example here, and the promises based fetch() API
makes this even better IMHO.

The other aspect that I think is crucial in a distributed system is
compatibility. This is why systems like thrift and protocol buffers exist:
They provide type safety (!) and make it really easy to maintain wire
compatibility. JSON is also "okay" with this, but it has the huge disadvantage
that usually json formats are "untyped".

In my opinion a system that we promote to Qt developers should learn from
these "mistakes" in the past: The API should encourage developers to write
fault tolerant code (because distributed systems _do_ fail) and it should be
easy to maintain wire compatibility (just like we do maintain binary
compatibility).

Simon