[Development] Qt 5.5.0 header diff

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Thu Jun 11 10:55:24 CEST 2015

On 11/06/15 11:38, "Marc Mutz" <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday 09 June 2015 13:35:14 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 09, 2015 at 10:59:32AM +0000, Heikkinen Jani wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I tried to create error reports about the findings to be able to
>> > follow-up the progress. Please create new one if something is missing.
>>
>> the point was about the entirely new headers that were not in the diffs,
>> i.e., entirely new apis. it's a quite different (and much bigger) task
>> than ensuring compatibility with existing api revisions.
>>
>> i can create a task, but it's not up to me to actually schedule it. lars
>> (or multiple other maintainers) need to make that call.
>
>Any news on this? Will we set aside time to look at the new API in more
>depth
>before publishing or will we rush out 5.5 with known and unknown API
>issues?
>
>(yes, this question is meant to be suggestive :)

Well, afaik the new APIs have been reviewed, but maybe not as widely as we
should have. But so far, I haven’t seen bigger issues apart from the one
in Qt Network.

We’ll have to weight things against each other. Looking at that, I don’t
believe delaying 5.5 is a good option as we’re getting extremely close to
the summer break. I don’t think releasing in August is a better idea.

So I propose we’ll sit down here in the office today and tomorrow with a
few people and go through the new APIs to be certain we didn’t miss any
big issues. That’s the fastest way to get some certainty without too large
risks to delay our release.

Cheers,
Lars