[Development] Qt 5.5.0 header diff

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Thu Jun 11 12:29:06 CEST 2015

On 11/06/15 10:55, "Knoll Lars" <Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

>On 11/06/15 11:38, "Marc Mutz" <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:

>>>missing.
>>>
>>> the point was about the entirely new headers that were not in the
>>>diffs,
>>> i.e., entirely new apis. it's a quite different (and much bigger) task
>>> than ensuring compatibility with existing api revisions.
>>>
>>> i can create a task, but it's not up to me to actually schedule it.
>>>lars
>>> (or multiple other maintainers) need to make that call.
>>
>>Any news on this? Will we set aside time to look at the new API in more
>>depth
>>before publishing or will we rush out 5.5 with known and unknown API
>>issues?
>>
>>(yes, this question is meant to be suggestive :)
>
>Well, afaik the new APIs have been reviewed, but maybe not as widely as we
>should have. But so far, I haven’t seen bigger issues apart from the one
>in Qt Network.
>
>We’ll have to weight things against each other. Looking at that, I don’t
>believe delaying 5.5 is a good option as we’re getting extremely close to
>the summer break. I don’t think releasing in August is a better idea.
>
>So I propose we’ll sit down here in the office today and tomorrow with a
>few people and go through the new APIs to be certain we didn’t miss any
>big issues. That’s the fastest way to get some certainty without too large
>risks to delay our release.

Ok, here’s the list of public headers that got added between 5.4 and 5.5.
I used the command below

git diff --name-status origin/5.4..origin/5.5 src | grep '^A' | grep "\.h"
| grep -v "_p.h" | grep -v 3rdparty | grep -v plugins

The list of headers that we need to go through is then:

On 11/06/15 10:55, "Knoll Lars" <Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com> wrote:

>On 11/06/15 11:38, "Marc Mutz" <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:

>>>the point was about the entirely new headers that were not in the diffs,
>>>i.e., entirely new apis. it's a quite different (and much bigger) task
>>>than ensuring compatibility with existing api revisions.
>>>i can create a task, but it's not up to me to actually schedule it. lars
>>>(or multiple other maintainers) need to make that call.
>>
>>Any news on this? Will we set aside time to look at the new API in more
>>depth
>>before publishing or will we rush out 5.5 with known and unknown API
>>issues?
>>
>>(yes, this question is meant to be suggestive :)
>
>Well, afaik the new APIs have been reviewed, but maybe not as widely as we
>should have. But so far, I haven’t seen bigger issues apart from the one
>in Qt Network.
>
>We’ll have to weight things against each other. Looking at that, I don’t
>believe delaying 5.5 is a good option as we’re getting extremely close to
>the summer break. I don’t think releasing in August is a better idea.
>
>So I propose we’ll sit down here in the office today and tomorrow with a
>few people and go through the new APIs to be certain we didn’t miss any
>big issues. That’s the fastest way to get some certainty without too large
>risks to delay our release.

Ok, here’s the list of public headers that got added between 5.4 and 5.5.
(generated using
git diff --name-status origin/5.4..origin/5.5 src | grep '^A' | grep "\.h"
| grep -v "_p.h" | grep -v 3rdparty | grep -v plugins)

The list of headers that we need to go through is then:

qtbase
A src/network/ssl/qsslellipticcurve.h
A src/network/ssl/qsslpresharedkeyauthenticator.h

qtmultimedia

A src/multimedia/camera/qcameraviewfindersettings.h
A src/multimedia/video/qabstractvideofilter.h
A src/qtmultimediaquicktools/qsgvideonode_yuv.h

qtwebengine

A src/webenginewidgets/api/qwebenginedownloaditem.h
A src/webenginewidgets/api/qwebengineprofile.h
A src/webenginewidgets/api/qwebenginescript.h
A src/webenginewidgets/api/qwebenginescriptcollection.h

For reference the full set of output of the script is attached, but most
of the files are not relevant to review for different reasons.

There are a couple of new modules as well:

Qt Canvas3D: Basically just a QML import exposing WebGL to QML.
Implemented a w3c/khronos standard, so not much to review here.

Qt 3D: In technology preview, API not yet frozen

Qt Location: The APIs underwent some changes from the 4.8 mobility API,
but the module got a good review during Nokia times.

I’ll get to reviewing the added files now, but others feel free to have a
look as well.

Cheers,
Lars