[Development] Some Qt3D feedback

André Pönitz apoenitz at t-online.de
Mon Jun 15 21:01:54 CEST 2015

There seem to be two claims floating around:

  (a) namespaces help avoiding name clashs

-- and --

  (b) namespaces are not more onerous than poor man's prefixes

I see that that both can be true.

I cannot see that both can be true *at the same time*.

Which one can be true depends on the recommended use of 'using'.

So, assuming Qt modules would start using C++ namespaces,
would *you* recommend the use of 'using'?

if so:

    Please explain how that avoids name clashes.

else:

    Please explain how "QFoo::Bar" (or the even longer QtFoo::Bar,
    or QFoo::QBar or QtFoo::Bar) is *not* more onerous than "QFooBar"

Your "Although we could recommend people to not use using directives we
can't enforce it (nor should we)" indicates a preference for the 'else'
branch (expectedly so), but I'd appreciate to see the reasoning why
having to type '::' (and possibly 't' and a second 'Q') can be seen
positively *at all*

[And in the unexpected case that there was *any* way to see this
positively, it would be nice to learn how that offsets the inconsistency
with most of the rest of Qt. But I don't see how to get there.]

Andre'