[Development] QtCS: Discussion about deprecating things

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Tue Jun 16 21:50:29 CEST 2015

Notes I took on the deprecation session follow. If I missed anything, or
misrepresented it in the notes, please chime in -- I was pretty tired
when I was writing this :)

(P.S. Did someone take notes on the QtQuick Performance discussion?)

======

Introduction
* Qt 5 is now a few years old, a lot of things have happened
* There’s always a limitation of resources, makes sense to focus on the
important, future-looking things

Compilers
* C++ standard evolving is one additional motivation for change, meaning
old compilers need to go (VS 2008, GCC 4.4)

Platforms
* Additionally, natural evolution of operating systems means that
supporting older operating systems becomes an increasing burden (OS X,
for instance, WEC 7, QNX 6.5)
* Deprecation is hard: lots of use of “old"RHEL 6 still going on. At the
same time, why is there a desire to use the newest Qt on these “old”
platforms?
* Qt 5.6 will deprecate: QNX 6.5 (QNX 6.6 OK)
* Qt 5.6 will deprecate WEC 7, 2013 only.
* Qt 5.6: Vista is on life support - patches welcome, it won’t be tested
* Qt 5.6: OS X 10.8+ (previous 4 releases)
* Qt 5.6: RHEL 6.6 with devpack
* Android 2.3 support for 5.6 / “Qt LTS"
    * Developer devices are dying
    * Market share is dropping
    * Maybe not, discuss it more?

Modules
* Modules that are now undermaintained needs to have something done to
them (QtWebKit, QtScript, QtQuick)
    * Printing support lacking from QQ2
    * Non-OpenGL hardware needing QQ1
* For modules that are no longer to be developed (“deprecated”):
    * Remove them from the binary packages
    * Keep individuals source tarballs, but not qt-everywhere tarball
    * No guarentees given; patches welcome, bug reports may or may not
    be handled.
* QtScript may be kept a bit longer, QtWebkit and QtQuick1 may be
deprecated sooner.