[Development] Qt LTS & C++11 plans (CopperSpice)

Ansel Sermersheim ansel at copperspice.com
Tue Jun 30 07:51:25 CEST 2015

> There is always CopperSpice the Qt fork which uses C++11.  They've
> got rid of moc and plan to replace Qt containers with std ones.
> Afterwards maybe they will add support for namespaces to their
> peppermill source convertor utility.

I am one of the developers of CopperSpice and I would like to
elaborate on our project. Our initial release of CopperSpice was in
July 2014 with our target audience being our local C++ Users Group in
the San Francisco Bay area.  We wanted to explore the interest in
CopperSpice and obtain feedback regarding the steps we took to remove
moc. Our full presentation in February 2015 was well received and
attended by several prominent people.

Our intent was to formally announce CopperSpice at CPPCon in
September.  Oddly, once we submitted a proposal for speaking at
CPPCon, someone in Europe decided to post information about
CopperSpice on reddit. As of today I can announce we have been
approved to speak about CopperSpice at CPPCon.

The current version of CopperSpice supports the full Qt Metaobject
System, requires C++11, and includes CsCore, CsGui, CsPhonon, as well
as CsScript, and CsWebkit. We have CsDBus partially ported, however
more time has been spent on other libraries. It will be available in
our September release.

I would like to clarify, we did not use anything from the Woboq blog
posting as others have speculated. We had moc removed from CopperSpice
a year earlier than the release of this blog. We are also not
associated with the Trinity Project.

As a consequence of our presentation in February we have modified
parts of the internal registration code to better implement
reflection. We will be making a few more changes before this is
released.

Our September release of CopperSpice will include changes to the
contain library, reimplementation of atomic types, our new changes to
the MetaObject System registration, full API documentation, ??

We would like to encourage developers to attend CPPCon to learn about
modern C++ and where it is going. For more information please check
out the following video.

         http://cppcon.org/2015promo/

Our thanks go out to Trolltech, Nokia, and Digia for all the work they
have done.

Ansel Sermersheim
CopperSpice Co-Founder
www.copperspice.com