[Development] compilation of qt5.5 examples with qt creator with visual studio 2012 (msvc2012) fails

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Mon Mar 9 19:46:48 CET 2015

On Monday 09 March 2015 23:44:08 Arjun Das wrote:
> *cpp.exe.2968.1625.jom qtmain.lib(qtmain_win.obj) : error LNK2019:
> unresolved external symbol __imp__CommandLineToArgvW at 8 referenced in
> function _WinMain at 16

> I understand that this error is because of winmain function missing which
> is required by visual studio compiler for any windows applications, However
> how does qt take care of it? What are the header files to be included to
> avoid this error for qt examples? Please help me with your suggstions and
> let me know if I am missing any steps also.

That has nothing to do with headers. The problem is linking and it seems to be
missing at least one DLL.

According to MSDN (the first hit on Google when you search for
"CommandLineToArgvW"), the function has been in shell32.dll since Windows
2000.

So the question is: was shell32 listed in the list of libraries to link to?