[Development] compilation of qt5.5 examples with qtcreator with visual studio 2012 (msvc2012) fails

Arjun Das arjundas.27586 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 20:40:38 CET 2015

> On Monday 09 March 2015 23:44:08 Arjun Das wrote:
> > *cpp.exe.2968.1625.jom qtmain.lib(qtmain_win.obj) : error LNK2019:
> > unresolved external symbol __imp__CommandLineToArgvW at 8 referenced in
> > function _WinMain at 16
>
> > I understand that this error is because of winmain function missing which
> > is required by visual studio compiler for any windows applications,
> However
> > how does qt take care of it? What are the header files to be included to
> > avoid this error for qt examples? Please help me with your suggstions and
> > let me know if I am missing any steps also.
>
> That has nothing to do with headers. The problem is linking and it seems
> to be
> missing at least one DLL.
>
> According to MSDN (the first hit on Google when you search for
> "CommandLineToArgvW"), the function has been in shell32.dll since Windows
> 2000.
>
> So the question is: was shell32 listed in the list of libraries to link to?

I tried to link the shell32.dll as follows in my .pro file :

*HEADERS = hello.h*
*SOURCES = hello.cpp \*
*          main.cpp*
*win32:LIBS += C:\Windows\System32\shell32.dll*

However I got the following error :

> On Monday 09 March 2015 23:44:08 Arjun Das wrote:
> > *cpp.exe.2968.1625.jom qtmain.lib(qtmain_win.obj) : error LNK2019:
> > unresolved external symbol __imp__CommandLineToArgvW at 8 referenced in
> > function _WinMain at 16
>
> > I understand that this error is because of winmain function missing which
> > is required by visual studio compiler for any windows applications,
> However
> > how does qt take care of it? What are the header files to be included to
> > avoid this error for qt examples? Please help me with your suggstions and
> > let me know if I am missing any steps also.
>
> That has nothing to do with headers. The problem is linking and it seems
> to be
> missing at least one DLL.
>
> According to MSDN (the first hit on Google when you search for
> "CommandLineToArgvW"), the function has been in shell32.dll since Windows
> 2000.
>
> So the question is: was shell32 listed in the list of libraries to link to?

I tried to link the shell32.dll as follows in my .pro file :

win32:LIBS += shell32.lib

I still get the same error. I am not sure how to link a dll file with QT.I
was trying to follow an old thread :
http://forum.qt.io/topic/6804/using-an-existing-dll-lib-with-qt/9

Moreover, I was expecting the examples to work right away without the user
needing to add any extra library.As a beginner, i wanted a good example for
reference and go ahead with that.

Thanks

Regards
Arjun