[Development] [Qt3D] Will Qt3D examples expect to run on Android?

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Fri Mar 20 17:20:37 CET 2015

Hi Edward,

On Friday 20 Mar 2015 15:15:07 Edward Sutton wrote:
> I am excited about Qt3D providing the tools to help solve a problem to help
> visualize underground utilities such as water pipes and telephone cables.

> Questions:
>
> 1) The bigscene example in Qt 5.5 Alpha is a helpful starting point for me
> to understand Qt3D and use it to draw a string of pipes using QCylinderMesh
> entities.  If I could figure out how to build Qt 5.5 Alpha for Android (on
> OS X),  would bigscene be expected to run on Android?

Yes, I believe a few people have managed to get Qt3D running on various
Android devices. I don't have any android devices myself on which to test
(yet).

> 2) Can I add a Qt3D window to an existing Qt widget form?  I am using
> widgets; no qml.  I want to let users adjust locations of QCylinderMesh
> entities representing underground pipes and obstacles.  Basically a CAE
> app.

That should work fine by using QWidget::createWindowContainer().

If you do want to layer a Qt Quick 2 UX over the Qt3D scene then take a look
at the scene3d example.

> Issues:
>
> 1) On OS X 10.10 a Macbook Pro 15” 2880 x 1800 Retina display, Qt3D render
> displays in the bottom-left 1/4 section of the window.  When windows is
> dragged to an external HD resolution monitor, it displays perfectly.  Any
> ideas?

Yes, that's something we see on iOS too. We're missing the pixel scaling to
deal with the HighDPI display. James has a WIP patch for this but it needs
more testing.

> If this is not the proper place for Qt3D please redirect me.  This is my
> first time positing.  Qt3D looks like a great potential solution to my
> work.

This is the correct place to discuss issues or development aspects of Qt3D,
for issues around using Qt3D they would be better on the interest@ mailing
list.

I'd be happy to learn more about your particular use cases to see if there are
any specific improvements we could feed into Qt3D to make it better.

Kind regards,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK