[Development] Removing the -c++11 option from configure

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at theqtcompany.com
Wed Mar 25 10:12:41 CET 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 01:23:25PM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2015 20:20:46 Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > And all for what? What do people gain by passing -no-c++11 today?
> >
> > they can (at least hypothetically) test their stuff with older language
> > versions without installing a second compiler (and forcing qt to use it,
> > which is a royal pita).
>
> They who?
>
> Do you mean "we", as in developers of Qt itself?

yes, i mean us.

> Is this really required or should people edit the mkspec?

hacking an mkspec is two orders of magnitude more effort (especially
when you try to automate it, or make it more or less permanent).

> Aside from an option for the CI to test non- C++11, why do we need it?

i think even that would be already a good enough reason.

> If you mean any other group of people, I don't see how they're relevant.

somebody who's developing on a modern platform but is ultimately targeting
(also) a more, ehm, retarded one, will appreciate it. for the same reason
why it's nice to have QT_DEPRECATED_SINCE and \since in apidocs.