[Development] Future of Qt Quick 1 in Qt 5

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Fri May 8 21:11:38 CEST 2015

Hi,

On Fri, May 8, 2015, at 02:39 PM, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> One question is if there is any reason to maintain Qt Quick 1 in the
> future.

I know of some projects that are still out there using QtQuick1
(unfortunately). I think that moving to remove it now might be a little
too quick, although I do think it's inevitable, and not a bad thing.

Are there any specific concerns you have about maintenance? Is there
anything that can be done to lessen that burden?

> For the no opengl acceleration use case, we provide the Qt Quick 2D
> Renderer as backend.
> (https://blog.qt.io/blog/2015/01/22/introducing-the-qt-quick-2d-renderer/)

This is true, but porting does require nonzero effort (especially in
testing, as one can't be certain that everything works due to some
subtle behaviour changes like MouseArea with opacity 0 still
intercepting presses in QQ2). I think that giving some amount of time
(5.7, 5.8?) after deprecation before removal might make sense.

Robin