[Development] Question to fonts and styles

Martin Koller kollix at aon.at
Sat May 9 13:26:49 CEST 2015

I got a question from a kolourpaint user (KDE painting program) why he can not see
the same fonts he finds in e.g. libreoffice.

Checking my own system (openSuse 13.2), I see some differences where I hope someone here can answer
why Qt does list some fonts.

E.g. fc-list finds also these fonts
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSans-ExtraLight.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Light:style=ExtraLight
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/DejaVuSansCondensed.ttf: DejaVu Sans,DejaVu Sans Condensed:style=Condensed,Book
but in a QFontComboBox I only get "DejaVu Sans" and also "DejaVu Sans Mono", but I do not get
the two above "DejaVu Sans Light" and "DejaVu Sans Condensed" both of which libreoffice shows.

(This happens with Qt4.8.6 and with Qt5.4.1)

Is this because the two mentioned above are just "styles" of "DejaVu Sans" ?

Intersting is that fc-list also lists "DejaVu Sans Condensed" as family name, e.g.
        family: "DejaVu Sans"(s) "DejaVu Sans Condensed"(s)
        familylang: "en"(s) "en"(s)
        style: "Condensed"(s) "Book"(s)
        stylelang: "en"(s) "en"(s)
        fullname: "DejaVu Sans Condensed"(s)

Shouldn't Qt list all fonts as different fonts which are listed with a unique family name ?
--
Best regards/Schöne Grüße

Martin
A: Because it breaks the logical sequence of discussion
Q: Why is top posting bad?

/\                        - against proprietary attachments

Geschenkideen, Accessoires, Seifen, Kulinarisches: www.lillehus.at