[Development] New Module for Serial Buses

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Thu May 28 08:22:29 CEST 2015

On 26/05/15 20:14, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday 26 May 2015 17:40:05 Viironen Kalle wrote:

>> >At the very least it's a superset and QtSerialPort (the library) should
>> >be
>> >moved into the new module. It's just two classes anyway.
>>

>> I fully agree. At some point QtSerialPort should be moved under this new
>> module. Problem with QtSerialPort is that it’s so tightly tied into
>>RS-232
>> functionality that its extension to support other serial buses isn’t
>> feasible.
>
>Fair enough.
>
>Can you give an overview of what classes you'd like to have and how
>QSerialPort and QSerialPortInfo would fit into the naming scheme?

I’m all for having a new module and would prefer Qt SerialBus over Qt Bus.

Grouping QSerialPort under it would make sense, but we’d need to
reconsider the naming of these classes in this case. If we have a couple
of different new implementations for other things such as CAN, i2c etc, we
might need slightly less generic class names for them.

So I’d also appreciate a quick overview over the new classes you’d like to
add, and how we could get the overall class naming to work out.

Cheers,
Lars