[Development] mouse wheel zooming and inertial scrolling

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Wed Sep 2 08:29:21 CEST 2015

On Wednesday 02 September 2015 01:12:06 René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 September 2015 22:46:24 René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> >> So, then we're indeed talking about local patches: on my systems only,
> >> and
> >> of potential interest to any LTS distribution maintainer who would like
> >> keep giving love to "deprecated" libraries still relied upon by unknown
> >> large numbers of users.
> >
> > We can create an extra branch on the Qt infrastructure for such patches,
> > but we can't run the CI on them -- that's actually the reason we closed
> > the 4.8 branch, as we are unable to test anything anymore.
>
> Fine with me too, but let's first see if there is going to be such a patch
> for this particular issue...

If you're not volunteering to do it, I doubt it will get done.

> I also just noticed that pressing the Meta (Command or Control) key while an
> inertial scroll is coasting still lets zooming kick in in the xcb plugin,
> meaning that the same application doesn't work consistently across platform
> plugins. Isn't that a bug, and if so, what is the intended behaviour?

That depends what does the interpreting of mouse and modifiers. They may come
as different events from the OS or the OS could delay the keypress of the
modifier until the coasting is finished.

What matters is the behaviour compared to other applications on that platform.