[Development] QtWaylandCompositor public api

Thomas Senyk thomas.senyk at pelagicore.com
Wed Sep 9 18:13:55 CEST 2015

On 31.08.2015 15:46, Lind Jorgen wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> On Friday I pushed some patches to a branch called
> wip-compositor-api in the qtwayland repository. We want this branch
> to be the basis for a technology preview of the QtWaylandCompositor
> api. The branch has minimal fixes to the client side of the code,
> and mostly concentrates on restructuring and refactoring the Qt
> Compositor api. In the end the patches will all be squashed and
> pushed to the dev branch. The code will be put in a new
> subdirectory, leaving the old Qt Compositor code intact. The reason
> for this is to give people some headroom to change to the new api.
> In due time the old Qt Compositor code will be removed.

I did a quick peak using git diff.
Seems like a lot of changes internally  .. and looking at
examples/qml-compositor the major difference at that:
You won't sub-class QWayland*Compositor anymore but instantiate it.
.. and therefor use signals rather then virtuals.

Any other major changes .. from a "simple c++ compositor"-perspective?

I did spot a couple of minor renaming (surfaceMapped vs.
mappedChanged), I'll look at them on a need to basis ;)

How stable/done is this? Is it worth while trying to port an existing
compositor to the new API?
If it's stable enough to count an effort like that between "API
review" and "actual forward port" then I'd give it a try in 2-3 weeks
(unless something comes up -- as always).

What's assumed ETA for moving wip-compositor-api to default API? 5.6? 5.7?

Greets
Thomas