[Development] Requesting New Repository - QtZeroConf

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Thu Sep 10 21:20:16 CEST 2015

On 10/09/15 19:58, "development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of drwho at infidigm.net" <development-bounces+lars.knoll=theqtcompany.com at qt-project.org on behalf of drwho at infidigm.net> wrote:

>>> Apple's bonjour lib is like avahi-client in that it connects to
>>> mDNSResponder.  mDNSResponder, or something like it is built into OSx
>>> and
>>> iOS, but on windows comes in Apple's print services.

I remember that we tried using the bonjour libs for a project inside the Qt company, and I don't remember that we needed any print services from Apple. But I could very well be wrong.

>>> The wrappers that use avahi-client and Apple's bonjour lib would be the
>>> same as QtDBus as in it would still compile and ship, but is really only
>>> an issue for windows.
>>
>> Do you know if avahi-core could be made to run on Windows?
>
>When I briefly tried it (2 months ago) I think it was an issue with the
>unix style sockets.  Googling didn't show much.  If it did work, I suspect
>it would be buggy as avahi really complains when it detects multiple mDNS
>stacks running.

So the problem would be to detect if a mDNS stack is already running, and if not start the service somehow?

Or is there a way to make it possible to run multiple stacks on one host (ie. Is having only one stack a limitation in the protocol or the implementation)? It would be great if we could simply do this in process.

Cheers,
Lars