[Development] Requesting New Repository - QtZeroConf

drwho at infidigm.net drwho at infidigm.net
Thu Sep 10 22:29:30 CEST 2015

> I remember that we tried using the bonjour libs for a project inside the
> Qt company, and I don't remember that we needed any print services from
> Apple. But I could very well be wrong.

I think it used to be called mDNSResponder.

>>When I briefly tried it (2 months ago) I think it was an issue with the
>>unix style sockets.  Googling didn't show much.  If it did work, I
>> suspect
>>it would be buggy as avahi really complains when it detects multiple
>> mDNS
>>stacks running.
>
> So the problem would be to detect if a mDNS stack is already running, and
> if not start the service somehow?

Hmmm, maybe mDNSResponder (or whatever it is called now) could be built
along with QtZeroConf for windows?  Seems ugly.

> Or is there a way to make it possible to run multiple stacks on one host
> (ie. Is having only one stack a limitation in the protocol or the
> implementation)? It would be great if we could simply do this in process.

Both Apple (on windows) and avahi have a daemon for the mDNS stack.  I'm
not an mDNS expert, but I really think if it could be done in multiple
processes they would have made a way for it.  This is the warning avahi
spits out when it detects another stack

*** WARNING: Detected another IPv4 mDNS stack running on this host. This
makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***
*** WARNING: Detected another IPv6 mDNS stack running on this host. This
makes mDNS unreliable and is thus not recommended. ***

Jon