[Development] QtWebEngine unbundled of third-party libraries on Linux

Allan Sandfeld Jensen kde at carewolf.com
Fri Sep 11 19:26:22 CEST 2015

On Friday 11 September 2015, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer wrote:
> On Tuesday 11 August 2015 23:17:31 Allan Sandfeld Jensen wrote:
> > Hello Qt
> >
> > QtWebEngine and Chromium in the Qt 5.6 branch have been patched to allow
> > linking with system libraries on Linux instead of bundled libraries. For
> > most libraries the system library will be used if development files are
> > detected on the system. ICU and FFMPEG however defaults to using the
> > bundled copies and requires using qmake arguments to configure to use
> > system versions. The required arguments are listed in qmake configure
> > status (just delete .qmake.cache and run qmake to run the configure step
> > again). Note that for FFMPEG, the libav libraries from the FFMPEG project
> > are required, the libraries from the libav project does not work.
> >
> > I have so far only tested on Debian. If more people could test it we
> > could also get better detection and set proper minimal versions.
> >
> > If you are a packager and more is required before QtWebEngine can be
> > packaged on your distribution, please let me know.
>
> [Exactly one month later...]
>
> I'll try to check this during the weekend. I'm terribly sorry for not doing
> it sooner, but life gets in the middle too much lately :-/
>
> Do you think it would be possible to build it against Qt 5.5? Just for
> testing purposes, of course.

Yes it does, and I intend to to keep it that way :D It is not a supported
configuration, but to the extend it is possible, I will try to make Qt
WebEngine build with one version older Qt. With QtWebKit I kept it working
with two version older, but WebEngine moves much faster and has a tight
integration with the scene graph, so let's see.

Btw. If you know the people packaging Chromium, you could point them my way,
we could probably share patches.

Best regards
`Allan