[Development] Qt 5.5.0 build issue on OS X (10.9): OpenGL libraries

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at theqtcompany.com
Tue Sep 15 09:28:14 CEST 2015

On 15/09/15 03:51, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On Monday 14 September 2015 08:09:28 Sorvig Morten wrote:
>> Then the question is: which ones should QtGui link against? On other
>>words
>> OpenGL usage is not confined to platform plugins only.
>>
>> To me this points to Xcb or Cocoa being a configure-time choice.
>
>Shouldn't the OpenGL functions be resolved dynamically by the platform
>plugin?
>QtGui should not link to the GL library. We had to implement that
>functionality for Windows, so that desktop GL and ANGLE could be selected
>at
>runtime.
>
>This would also allow one QtGui to work with both desktop GL as well as
>GL ES
>in one build (though it could be disabled if one of the two can never
>happen).

In principle that’s ok. But for 5.6, our focus should be to have things
working with Cocoa. This is the 99.5% use case, xcb is a fringe platform
on the Mac.

So for 5.6, I agree with Morten that cocoa vs xcb sounds like a configure
choice rather than something we do dynamically. For 5.7, we could get
things working from one build if someone is willing to do the work
required.

Cheers,
Lars