[Development] Documentation proposal: Remove recommended reading list of 20-year-old books

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 02:02:16 CEST 2015

On 30 August 2015 at 16:02, Dmitry Volosnykh <dmitry.volosnykh at gmail.com> wrote:
> By the way, what are those "newer ones"?

I don't have a specific book in mind, but I would encourage newcomers
to learn the high-level API introduced in C++11 (std::thread,
std::async, etc.) instead of the low-level, platform-specific API
currently recommended by the Qt docs (pthreads/Win32 threads). The
former is much cleaner and more portable (assuming the platform
toolchains are C++11 compliant). I'd only recommend books on
pthreads/Win32 threads to people who need/want in-depth details about
those APIs.

> On Sun, Aug 30, 2015 at 10:48 AM, Sze Howe Koh <szehowe.koh at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/threads.html#recommended-reading points readers
>> to some books about multithreading. These books were published between
>> 1995 and 1997, and have been well and truly superseded by newer ones.
>>
>> Rather than update the list, I plan to remove it completely. I don't
>> think this list belongs in the Qt docs, just like how we don't
>> maintain a list of "learning C++" books. It's easy enough these days
>> to find reading material for these foundational topics.
>>
>> Any objections?

Regards,
Sze-Howe