[Development] Documentation proposal: Remove recommended reading list of 20-year-old books

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Fri Sep 4 10:27:03 CEST 2015

On Tuesday 1. September 2015 13:33:27 Adam Majer wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 31, 2015 at 08:18:59PM +0300, Berkay Elbir wrote:
> >    Yeah, replacing would be better than just removing...

I think it's fine just removing this list.

> Almost every modern C++ (and other programming language) book deals
> with basics of threads and concurrency. Concurrent programming is
> standard for a decade now. C++ standard now has a notion of
> multithreads. In light of this, I believe a simple statement about
> getting a moden C++ book is enough.

+1

> If a link is desired, how about "C++ Concurrency in Action: Practical
> Multithreading" by Williams.
>
>    http://www.amazon.com/dp/1933988770
>
> NOTE: I haven't read this book, but from TOC it seems to cover most
> important things about threads.

Going on amazon and search for "C++ Multithreading", and recommanding the
books there without reading it, is not really meaningful. The documentation
should only recommand books that someone has read and thinks is valuable.
(unless it was a sponsor perhaps)

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org