[Development] Heads up! Fixing the build system on Windows

Tvete Paul Paul.Tvete at theqtcompany.com
Fri Apr 1 07:16:33 CEST 2016

As you may know, Lars is leading an effort to modularize the build
system. One of the big headaches we have is that Windows uses a completely
separate configure.exe, leading to a lot of duplicated effort.

With the latest announcement from Microsoft, everything changes. Now that
bash is natively supported, we will remove the ugly hack, and standardize on
using the configure script for all platforms. The requirement for
Windows 10 should not be a problem, since the upgrade is free anyway.

We are finalizing the changes now, and aim to go live from 5.6.1. As a bonus,
this should speed up the CI system for everyone, since we no longer have to
test the obsolete Windows versions.