[Development] Vulkan

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Sat Apr 9 11:06:23 CEST 2016

On Saturday 09 April 2016 01:57:24 Tom Kulaga wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is anyone actively working on vulkan integration? Or even a QVulkanWidget?
> I saw that d3d12 had a preview widget so thought it was reasonable to ask.
>
> If anyone isn't I'm keen to have a crack. In terms of implementation, is it
> as naively simple as creating a new widget similar to the QOpenGLWidget
> one, just to get a drawable canvas up and running? I believe that on Linux
> a xcb_window_t is used for vulkan samples and deep in the QPA I saw it too.
>
> I was wondering if for a novice like me this would be feasible to actually
> do?
>
> Does the whole rendering stack need to transfer over to vulkan?

It all depends what level of integration you are after. Using a QWindow and
using Vulkan with it doesn't require much. Making something equivalent to
QOpenGLWidget is much more work as you have to worry about compositing
QPainter content into the window too.

Making a Vulkan backend for Qt Quick 2 is also more work, considerably more
work than much of the other low hanging fruits that could be used to improve
performance there on the existing OpenGL backend. Although, like the D3D12
backend it might give better results on windows (for Vulkan capable hardware).

Putting a Vulkan backend on Qt 3D is a very real possibility and one where
Vulkan could potentially make a big impact. This is something I want to
investigate later after we have done a stable release or two of Qt 3D. The
good thing is that Qt 3D's architecture maps very well to Vulkan (by design).

Some IHV's provide drivers that have OpenGL/Vulkan interop in that you can use
both Vulkan and OpenGL on the same surface which would be another interesting
option if this support becomes widespread.

If you want to have a go, then certainly nobody is going to stop you and you
may well get some help. We have some early proof of concept stuff we can look
to tidy up and publish along these lines.

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK
Tel. UK +44 (0)1625 809908, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090