[Development] Qt Keyboard Shortcuts broken in Qt 5.6 (since 4.8 at least). Reproducible test case included.

jasonsu at mail-central.com jasonsu at mail-central.com
Sun Apr 10 17:33:15 CEST 2016

On Sun, Apr 10, 2016, at 12:14 AM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> > press:
> >         Meta-Ctrl-Alt-L
> >         OUTPUT: (none); window flashes
>
> That has nothing to do with shortcuts. It appears that the way that khotkeysd
> sends keypresses isn't working in Creator. It's irrelevant what Creator does:
> the bug is in khotkeysd because it isn't sending the input in such a way that
> some applications can't ignore.

Great.  Sound like its something clear then.  It's khotkeys.  So, it's a KDE problem not Qt?

I've kept looking around, and as I said, there's lots of bugs reported about this stuff not working, including meta.  Some. of them blame khotkeys, some not  Some of them are old, some not.  I've no real idea why the problem is there, just that it is.  And looks like it has been for awhile.  So far, I didn't find a clear cause or solution.

What i DO find repeatedly is that KDE devs blame the problem squarely on Qt.

Shortcuts, if you need them, need the option for multi-key chords (like Meta-Ctrl-Alt) to avoid collisions with the scads of other, shorter combos that already exist.

Folks want a reproducible test case, So I gave one.

It's been that way for sice at least Qt 5.3 as far as Ive been able to test.

Folks want to know whether the latest versions of stuff fix the problem, so the reproducible test case uses the latest, stable versions my distro has.

"That has nothing to do with shortcuts."

TBH, I don't understand the semantics.  The Keyboard *Shortcuts* I create don't work.  But, If shortcuts-being-broken-when-using-meta is not the same as  shortcuts-being-broken, then - my bad.  Call it what it needs to be called.  I'm just trying to help with the test case.

Oh, and just to be clear.  This 'khotkeys' problem is not just in Creator, but all Qt-based apps .  Which I guess means for most of KDE.  That I've tried so far anyway.  In anything not-Qt, the hotkeys work just fine.

HTH.

Jason