[Development] Qt 5.7.0 beta snapshot available - gtk 3 and packaging on RHEL 6

Frederik Gladhorn frederik.gladhorn at theqtcompany.com
Mon Apr 11 16:50:18 CEST 2016

Hello all,

for Linux packaging we currently use a Red Hat 6 which seemed like a good
compromise at the time.

I have been pondering https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-52259 for a while
and don't seem to reach a conclusion.
We had a contribution porting our gtk 2 theme to gtk 3 (thanks Dmitry!).
The question is how to proceed, from what I can tell, it's not trivial to get
gtk3 built on rhel6.
For Linux distributions this is of course not a problem, but the Qt installer
is currently built without any gtk plugin compiled.
In the future (Qt 5.8), I'd like to switch to rhel 7 as packaging platform, so
this problem should go away.

For Qt 5.7, the options seem to be:
1.) ignore the problem and ship Qt packages in the installer without gtk theme
2.) revert the patch to have the gtk2 theme for one release longer and only
have gtk3 with Qt 5.8
3.) package on rhel 7, but I'm told, we're already too late in the cycle

Any ideas appreciated. In general I have a hard time seeing how to cleanly
create packages on Linux, unless we basically ship an entire distro (similar
to Chrome and others)... I'd love to learn about good approaches, since
packaging on something "old enough to run everywhere" and "new enough to allow
all dependencies to be built" seems hard to achieve.

Sadly we don't have the resources to create native packages for each and every
distro (we want to allow our users to use Qt on older releases of their
favorite distro) and I'm not sure if packagers would be willing to help us get
into a situation where it's easy to create packages for all relevant
distributions, installing into custom prefixes and having a mix of versions.

So for the time being I have been convinced that creating the installers is
valuable for many people on Linux, but I wonder if there's a way we can do
better.

Cheers,
Frederik

PS: there are some more issues with old distros and packaging... gstreamer
0.10 comes to mind, next to bluez dependencies.