[Development] Qt-Project misrepresented on qt.io

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Tue Apr 19 14:41:54 CEST 2016

Hi,

On Tuesday 19 April 2016 12:50:20 Olivier Goffart wrote:
> I feel that with the unification, there is less and less visibility of the
> Qt open source project:
> The qt.io home page contains no information that Qt is open source and
> contains contributions from the community;
> The "Developers" section, to which http://qt-project.org redirects, mostly
> contains information for developers using Qt, (and more than half seems to
> be marketing targeted for people not yet using Qt) and only a very small
> paragraph near the end seems somehow targeted to contributors;
> Any links or aggregation to planetqt seems gone. Planet Qt is supposed to be
> an aggregation of the blogs of Qt contributors.
>
> It was much better in 2015 where the developers page contained information
> for contributors
> http://web.archive.org/web/20150723065217/http://www.qt.io/developers/
>
> I think there should be a "Contributors" section from qt.io  where qt-
> project.org would redirect. And which would have links useful for
> contributors, including links and aggregation of planet qt.
>
> I acknowledge that The Qt Company is by far the biggest contributor to Qt.
> And that because of the CLA, they have no obligation whatsoever.
> But I just feel it's not fair to hide the open source nature of Qt and the
> open source contribution completely from qt.io. When the unification was
> announced, it was said that the open source qt-project would continue to be
> represented, but i just feel it's no longer the case with the new website.

I agree. It's important to make it clear that Qt can still be used under FOSS
licenses for free, and that Qt contains a large proportion of code contributed
by individuals and companies outside of The Qt Company:

http://www.macieira.org/~thiago/qt-stats/current/qt-all.employer.relative.png

By not making it easy for people to see that it is possible for them to
contribute Qt and making it easy for them to get on board with the process we
are harming the project. Having a guide to making your first contribution would
be great, and perhaps having a support person available to help mentor new
contributors would be nice.

Kind regards,

Sean
--