[Development] [Announce] Qt 5.7.0 Beta released

md at rpzdesign.com md at rpzdesign.com
Thu Apr 21 15:08:21 CEST 2016

Jani & Tuuka:

There is a reference to the upcoming Qt Quick Compiler in 5.8 in the 5.7 beta announcment.

http://blog.qt.io/blog/2016/04/21/qt-5-7-beta-released/

Where do we send input to the people in charge of making 5.8 design decisions?

Since it looks like this is going to a significant re-factor of the base code from 5.7, this is the moment to speak up.

I submit that there is a currently a dysfunctional design dependence between a 5.8 Qt Quick Compiler, the requirement of QMLDIR files for plugins,
the QR("") Internationalization pattern, and QQmlComponent C++ class.

The architecture is cumbersome if you have a project structure that deviates in any way from the classic QRC oriented resource files, you do a lot of work.

What I would like to see in 5.8 and beyond.

1)  QQmlComponent as the primary QML interface for C++ developers with the QtQuick Compiler optionally compiling loaded QML from a byte array and shipped to a customer in the form of downloadable Compiled QML!!!
2) QQmlComponent able to load definitions into the component cache to be used in qml "Import MyComponent 1.0"
3) Drop QMLDIR files entirely, they are really stupid.  They have no place in a dynamic loadable plugin/component architecture.
4) Allow plugins (either C++ or QML) to be loaded by C++ or QQmlComponent.LoadPlugin( array of plugin bytes!, not FILE or URL based!)
Right now I am forced to statically link my plugins into the executable for QML to see them and use them. Very clumsy.
5) Decouple the GUI/QML from NetworkResourceManager.  The NetworkResourceManager should be an optional component, not required for every project.
If you need to download QML using an URL, provide a bridge class to perform that.
6) International Support Decoupled (So I can use my own hooks instead of translation files in Qr(" ") usage pattern

I really think that if the architecture and cumulative design choices are reviewed, you can see a lot of legacy decisions that now can get factored out of the design
so there is cleanliness and a proper fit for the Qt Quick Compiler in relation to the other QML/C++ constructs.

Thanks for listening,

Marco