[Development] New library in qtbase

Shawn Rutledge Shawn.Rutledge at qt.io
Tue Dec 6 15:44:11 CET 2016

> On 3 Dec 2016, at 00:36, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
>
> Shawn Rutledge wrote:
>> http://www.galago-project.org/about.php
>>
>> sounds like it’s just for “presence” to tell instant-messaging clients
>> whether you are using the computer or not.
>
> I did not suggest you use the Galago software, just this specification:
> https://people.gnome.org/~mccann/docs/notification-spec/notification-spec-latest.html
> older versions of which were hosted on:
> http://www.galago-project.org/specs/notification/
> (which is how it came to be known as the "Galago (notification) spec”).

That page doesn’t mention Galago.  Anyway org.freedesktop.Notifications is the specification we are already using in qtbase/src/platformsupport/dbustray.

But we know that increasingly notifications are being used independently from tray icons, and that basically every platform has some kind of notifications, so maybe we’ll end up with another Qt API for that eventually.  It’s unintuitive that if you only want to show notifications but don’t need a tray icon, you have to use QSystemTrayIcon::showMessage().

> If you want to use an existing library, libnotify is what you are looking
> for:
> https://developer.gnome.org/libnotify/

Well why should Qt depend on another library which does the D-Bus communication in its own way, when we already have Qt D-Bus?

> All these are GNOME URLs, but the protocol is also supported by KDE Plasma
> and by other desktop environments:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Desktop_notifications

Yeah, that was the idea of implementing it that way, to get it working on Gnome and Ubuntu and KDE.