[Development] Tagging private symbols as such

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Wed Dec 7 06:59:32 CET 2016

Thiago Macieira wrote:
> And I was actually affected by it: I wanted to backport an XRandR bugfix
> to libQt5XcbQpa, so I just built my own check out of qtbase on the tag +
> cherry- pick. But the lib wouldn't load because the ELF versions were
> different. I had to install qmake & qtbase development files from the
> distro so it would build and load.

The right way to test a backport of a patch to a distro package is really to
export the patch from git, check out the distro source package (e.g. the
SRPM, or its sources: specfile, tarball(s), patches if any), add the patch
to the specfile (or equivalent) and rebuild the package (ideally using
something like mock or debootstrap so that you build in a clean chroot
without any self-built stuff).

You would not recommend mixing different versions of Qt to a user either,
would you? It is also a bad idea for a developer. So don't mix distro
packages and self-built (from git sources) binaries, either use all self-
built or all distro packages.

        Kevin Kofler