[Development] Tagging private symbols as such

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer perezmeyer at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 14:37:27 CET 2016

On martes, 6 de diciembre de 2016 18:18:35 ART Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Em quarta-feira, 7 de dezembro de 2016, às 02:23:15 PST, Kevin Kofler
escreveu:
> > > I think I had thought of that when I originally came up with the idea,
> > > but
> > > discarded it. I know I don't want it in developer builds for the same
> > > reason that QObjectPrivate's constructor does not complain about mixing
> > > Qt
> > > versions in developer builds (see
> > > 5bf67f5f41ab110eb41ab74f2a87e649735af435
> > > for the rationale). But unlike the QObjectPrivate check, changing the
> > > ELF
> > > version according to Qt version would render a -developer-build library
> > > binary- incompatible with a non-developer-build user.
> > >
> > > I may have had other reasons, but I don't remember them now.
> > >
> > > So I think it's not a good idea to apply the SUSE patch as-is.
> >
> > But applying it downstream in distribution packages should be OK in any
> > case, shouldn't it? I don't think binary compatibility with upstream makes
> > sense for private symbols which are not even guaranteed to be compatible
> > between two upstream version.
>
> I would rather distros not produce binary-incompatible patches to upstream
> Qt. This is such a patch.

I do really understand both positions. Truth is that the same tools that helps
us detect and follow this situation without the need to even recompile are the
same tools that would increase our maintainance burden if we used this patch.

Let me asset with my team mate how much more work it really means to us and
see if we have some way to make everyone's life better.

--
Passwords are like underwear. You shouldn’t leave them out where people can
see them. You should change them regularly. And you shouldn’t loan them out

Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
http://perezmeyer.com.ar/
http://perezmeyer.blogspot.com/