[Development] A new approach for Qt main()

Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt eskil.abrahamsen-blomfeldt at qt.io
Fri Dec 9 12:58:46 CET 2016

Den 09.12.2016 12:40, skrev Tor Arne Vestbø:
> On 09/12/2016 11:44, Lars Knoll wrote:
>> Well, the problem is that the main() entry point is causing huge amounts
>> of issues on at least Android and iOS.
>
> I don't know about Android, but on iOS this is patently false. While
> the workaround is complex, it has worked very well in the 3 years
> since its inception. Please don't use iOS as a straw-man in this
> discussion.

Speaking for Android, there are and have been thread synchronization
issues due to Qt running a synchronous event loop in the main function.
It is also impossible to make applications with multiple entry points
and complex life cycles, which you would expect in an Android
application consisting of several activities and services that can be
triggered independently and simultaenously. Our work-around for this is
to limit support to applications with one activity or one service per
process in the application.

So while we have been able to find solutions for most our problems, both
on Android and iOS, I guess Lars' point is that we are encountering more
and more cases where we have to invent hacks and work-arounds and
document limitations in order to be functional on modern platforms. It
might be a sign that we should adapt.

--
Eskil Abrahamsen Blomfeldt
Senior Manager, R&D