[Development] A new approach for Qt main()

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at qt.io
Fri Dec 9 14:02:12 CET 2016

On 09/12/2016 12:49, Jake Petroules wrote:
>> On Dec 9, 2016, at 3:40 AM, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io>
>> wrote:
>>
>> On 09/12/2016 11:44, Lars Knoll wrote:
>>> Well, the problem is that the main() entry point is causing huge
>>> amounts of issues on at least Android and iOS.
>>
>> I don't know about Android, but on iOS this is patently false.
>> While the workaround is complex, it has worked very well in the 3
>> years since its inception. Please don't use iOS as a straw-man in
>> this discussion.
>
> The point is that we shouldn't need such a workaround in the first
> place. That's kind of the point of this discussion. And as I said,
> the iOS situation is made even worse further by dynamic libraries.

Obviously getting rid of workaround (in all platforms, not just iOS)
would be preferable. But describing the current (x years and counting)
situation as 'causing huge amount of issues' (on iOS) is just plain
wrong, and derails the discussion from pragmatic and constructive
solutions to the problem.

tor arne