[Development] A new approach for Qt main()

Jake Petroules Jake.Petroules at qt.io
Fri Dec 9 14:10:50 CET 2016

> On Dec 9, 2016, at 5:02 AM, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io> wrote:
>
> On 09/12/2016 12:49, Jake Petroules wrote:
>>> On Dec 9, 2016, at 3:40 AM, Tor Arne Vestbø <Tor.arne.Vestbo at qt.io>
>>> wrote:

>>> I don't know about Android, but on iOS this is patently false.
>>> While the workaround is complex, it has worked very well in the 3
>>> years since its inception. Please don't use iOS as a straw-man in
>>> this discussion.
>>
>> The point is that we shouldn't need such a workaround in the first
>> place. That's kind of the point of this discussion. And as I said,
>> the iOS situation is made even worse further by dynamic libraries.
>
> Obviously getting rid of workaround (in all platforms, not just iOS) would be preferable. But describing the current (x years and counting) situation as 'causing huge amount of issues' (on iOS) is just plain wrong, and derails the discussion from pragmatic and constructive solutions to the problem.

Again, I think you're missing Lars' point - "causing huge amount of issues" doesn't necessarily mean that we are constantly finding and fixing issues every week - in this context it means "the fact that we have a workaround at all", i.e. a suboptimal solution to an architectural problem that we wish wasn't there. Even ONE issue (the one that was "fixed" years ago) can still qualify as "huge amount of issues" simply because the solution in place is complicated and we don't like it.

I think at this point we're nitpicking linguistics. We both understood what Lars meant and obviously both agree with him.

Jake Petroules - jake.petroules at qt.io
The Qt Company - Silicon Valley
Qbs build tool evangelist - qbs.io