[Development] HEADS UP: OSX build requirements for 5.7

Tor Arne Vestbø tor.arne.vestbo at theqtcompany.com
Thu Feb 11 14:04:56 CET 2016

On 10/02/16 22:07, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>>> If we're going to upgrade our Xcode in all our builds, I would advise we
>>> also make it mandatory for everyone else too. Check during configure
>>> against the minimum SDK version, that being the *current* at the time of
>>> release.

Yes, absolutely.

> To be clear, I'm not in favour of dropping support for older toolchains. I'd
> rather we kept testing them, to reasonable amounts (we can't test every Xcode
> release on every OS X host). I'd rather Qt shielded people from bad practices
> from vendors.
>
> But as often happens whenever a topic like this comes up: there's a resource
> constraint.

Exactly. Ideally we'd apply the process outlined in the OP for every
single supported build platform, ie. build on 10.(7|8|9|10|11) and test
on 10.7->10.11, but being resource constrained, both in manpower and CI
resources, we can only afford to build on a single version, the latest.

Note that this should make it easier to follow SDK/toolchain updates
from Apple when they come out in beta, so that we can catch those
toolchain issues _before_ they get released.

tor arne