[Development] some questions about QtGamePad

Sean Harmer sh at theharmers.co.uk
Mon Feb 15 15:18:57 CET 2016

Hi,

On 15/02/2016 11:36, pritam.ghanghas at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have looking at QtGamePad for usage in another opensource project
> QGroundControl. It looks like a great module already, something that
> will reduce lot of cross platform headache for a lot of people trying
> to use joysticks with Qt. Awesome work by the authors.
>
> Looking at the API it seems it has a very hard assumption on 2 sticks
> and 18 buttons.  It is quite possible that QGrounControl may have to
> support more than 2 sticks. Its quite common for robotics controller
> to have more than 2 sticks in the form of other photometers. It would
> be good if some more lower level cross platforms apis were exposed
> that allow one to enumerate the sticks and buttons. Something that can
> give us more raw data to handle such special cases.

We have some API in Qt 3D for this:

http://code.qt.io/cgit/qt/qt3d.git/tree/src/input/frontend/qabstractphysicaldevice.h?h=5.7

We can look at making it available to more parts of Qt in the future but
at the moment the implementation is tied to Qt 3D's architecture. We've
tried this with Playstation 3 six axis controllers as well as
SpaceNavigator Pro 3D mice. There is already a commit in that provides
this on top of Andy's great QtGamepad efforts.

Cheers,

Sean