[Development] Scalable UIs in QtQuick (take 2)

Mathias Hasselmann mathias at taschenorakel.de
Thu Feb 18 15:24:55 CET 2016

Am 18.02.2016 um 11:50 schrieb Hausmann Simon:
 > A little while ago Lars and I proposed to introduce physical units in
the QML language for use in QtQuick. The idea was to make it easier to
write user interfaces that adapt to different display resolutions by
"pinning" your UI to physical dimensions. For example you could say

 >      Image {
 >          source: "mypprofilephoto.png"
 >          width: 5cm
 >          height: 5cm
 >      }

Being able to annotate numbers with units might be a generally useful
feature for QML. The obvious use cases are distances and positions.
Another use case are timer and animation intervals. Finally I am
thinking of this industrial touch UI demo we show at trade shows. The
QML based DSL driving it would benefit greatly if one could easily
express the physical unit of each number (ampere, newton, meters, ...)
and if one could preserve this information during calculations.

Of course I am going slightly off-topic with this thoughts...

Ciao,
Mathias