[Development] Scalable UIs in QtQuick (take 2)

Julien Blanc julien.blanc at nmc-company.com
Thu Feb 18 17:20:13 CET 2016

Le jeudi 18 février 2016 à 14:20 +0100, Oswald Buddenhagen a écrit :

> On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 10:50:22AM +0000, Hausmann Simon wrote:
> > What do you think?
> >
> that it's a bit silly that we're having this discussion *yet again*. ;)
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/6572/focus=6807
>
> i find the point about using arcminutes as a truly device independent
> unit particularly relevant. i thought we discussed this topic somewhere
> in more depth already, but i failed to find anything relevant.

I made some experiments with that, but unfortunately, that’s far from a
perfect solution either.

The main problem is that the readability of items depends on both the
size and the number of pixels (to say it differently : you can write
smaller text on a retina display while still being human-readable). So
you get to consider both, which basically completely breaks the purpose
of angle oriented units. Add to that that some elements (eg touch
buttons) must have some minimal physical size to be usable. There’s also
the issue that the « typical eye distance » information is missing on
devices  (a 24“ computer fullhd monitor has not the same eye distance
than a 24” fullhd TV, despite having the same physical characteristics).

For now, i reverted to sailfish silica-like approach, which i found
gives the best result (basically, use theme-given sizes for your
elements, and layout them accordingly). However, some smarter logic than
just a basic scaling factor could be implemented to automagically
compute theme values depending on the device (instead or in complement
of device-specific themes).

Regards,

Julien